Frequently Asked Questions
This is the Home Improvement Archive's F.A.Q. Here we hope to answer to most commonly asked questions about Home Improvement.
If you have any questions (or answers) that you think should be included here, then please send them to Duncan Taylor.
- What is Home Improvement?
- Home Improvement is a
US sit-com about the accident-prone host, Tim Taylor, of a cable television tool show. The
show centers around the relationships Tim has with his wife, Jill, and their sons,
Brad, Randy, and Mark. Tim's co-host of his tool show, Tool Time, is Al
Borland, a bachelor who is devoted to his mother. Al and his mother are often
at the receiving end of Tim's jokes. When Tim and his family are unable to
resolve their differences, they often turn to their next door neighbor, Wilson
Wilson, who is more than happy to give them advice.
The result is a comedy about the trials and tribulations of family life.
See the Episode Guide and the Vital Statistics section for more information.
- Can I buy any Home Improvement episodes on video or DVD?
- The series finale episodes have been
released on VHS Video in the US. It should be available from all good video
The series is now being released on DVD. For further details, see the Store.
It is expected that the remaining seasons will also be released in Region 1. No further Region 2 releases are currently planned.
- Why does Wilson never show his face?
- This is based upon Tim (Tim Taylor) Allen's recollection of not being able to see his own neighbor when he was a boy as he was too short to see over the fence. It added an air of mystery to his neighbor, which was felt to be appropiate for the Wilson character. So Wilson's face is always partly obscured. It also gives the cast and crew a challenge in finding a new and unusual way to hide Wilson's face each episode.
- Was Randy older than Brad during season one?
- The ages of the three boys were not properly defined during the first season, leading to some continuity problems with later seasons. However, Randy has never been stated as being older than Brad; Randy has always been 13 months younger than Brad. Some confusion may be caused by the fact that Jonathan Taylor Thomas (who plays Randy) is in fact 1 month older than Zachery Ty Bryan (who plays Brad).
- How do I contact the cast?
- You can write to the cast at the following addresses:
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-2215
- What was the song used on the series finale during the clip montage?
- The song was "We've Got It All" performed by Kenny Rogers. It was written by Dan Foliart specifically for the show. As far as I am aware, it has not been released commercially, however promotional copies are occasionally available on eBay.